I have put together a short list of tips that helped me to eat cleaner and become healthier. I have put the most important tip at the top, as this is key to eating cleaner. Even if you only follow one of these tips - make it the first one!
A good way to start your clean eating regime is to follow a couple of the tips below, adding in a new one each week for 8 weeks, and by the end of 8 weeks you will be eating clean!
8 Tips for Clean Eating:
1. Cut down on processed foods, if you don’t recognise an ingredient, chances are your body won’t either.
3. Drink at least 2 litres of water each day; try swapping soda and juices for water or green tea. Get yourself a reusable water bottle such as the Camelbak Eddy. I have 2 of these bottles so I can always have one with me. They can be purchased from Snow & Rock in Dundrum, or on Amazon.
|I drink at least 3 of these 750ml bottles per day!|
4. Cut down on sugar; try using natural sweeteners such as honey, agave nectar, maple syrup or Stevia instead.
5. If you are eating chocolate, consider going to the dark side! Dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids) contains more antioxidants and has lots of other great health benefits! Dark chocolate is more intense in flavour, and therefore a smaller amount will satisfy you.
6. Eat more fruits and vegetables - at least one serving with every meal (including snacks)
7. Cut down on ‘white’ carbs such as bread, pasta and rice and switch to ‘brown’ alternatives such as wholegrain breads, pastas and brown rice. Also experiment with new grains such as quinoa or bulghur wheat for a healthier alternative.
8. Eating good fats such as those found in oily fish, avocados, and nuts is important; make sure to include these in your diet. Cut down on saturated fats found in butter, cheese etc.
So now all that’s left is for you to step up to the plate!