Crepes are something that I used to associate with having copious amounts of Nutella and sugar with (yes - on the same crepe - the sugar added a nice crunch to the smooth Nutella). However, now that I am trying to eat cleaner and cut down on processed foods, I thought why should I have to miss out on this deliciousness - so I came up with my very own healthy crepe recipe.
Buckwheat comes from the same family as rhubarb, believe it or not, and it is not considered to be a grain or cereal. It contains no wheat so is technically gluten-free, however you will need to ensure you buy buckwheat flour that is certified gluten-free if you have an allergy to it as cross-contamination can occur if it is processed in the same facility as wheat products. The brand of flour I happened to use (Dove Farms) is not certified as gluten-free so there may be traces of gluten in it.
makes 6 medium crepes
55g buckwheat flour
100ml milk (I used skimmed cow's milk, but almond, coconut or hazelnut milk will all work just fine)
1 large egg
coconut oil for the pan
1. I took the easy way out and just put all the ingredients into a blender bottle and gave it a good shake. No extra washing up and it made it easy to pour into the pan. If you don't have a blender bottle, just put all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk it up until its nice and smooth.
2. Put 1tsp coconut oil in the pan and let it melt. Then pour in just enough batter to cover the pan in a thin layer, swirl the batter around to ensure an even coating. Cook for about 2 minutes, just until the edges of the crepe start to come away from the pan. It is then ready to flip and should only need a further 30 seconds on the other side just to give it a bit of colour.
3. I only added coconut oil after every second crepe; if you are using a good non-stick pan this should work just fine. Keep going until you have all the crepes cooked. Keep cooked crepes warm in the oven until ready to serve.
4. Serve with some greek yoghurt mixed with some
5. Other serving suggestions include fresh lemon and honey or maple syrup and blueberries.
If you try out any of my recipes let me know, send me pictures, tag me on twitter
or on Instagram
. I would love to see you making my fabulous clean creations!!
Don't forget to follow my new Facebook page